Simonside Primary School
South Tyneside Council Skills Fund
Sportworks have designed and delivered a programme for 10 families of pupils at the school who are unemployed to both assist the parents in gaining employment and create the opportunity for meaningful family time together.
The 10 week course is delivered on a weekly basis, taking the parents or older participants only first for an hour of delivering very informal assistance with interview techniques, CV creation and other tools required to enhance employment prospects. This first part of the weekly sessions is delivered in partnership with the National Careers Service.
In the second hour of the two hour sessions, the parents or elder participants are joined by the children to participate in coached games
- To give disadvantaged families an opportunity to play together
- To give unemployed adults assistance in employment prospects
- To facilitate family based team-building, interaction & develop communication skills
- To provide an external stimulus which provides an enjoyable, engaging programme of activity
- Development of stronger bonds within the family units
- Increased levels of activity
- Increased physical and mental well-being
- 100% of participants enjoyed the course
- Increased resilience for all participants